Integrating GAIN ABS and Electronic records systems
If you have an electronic client record system (electronic health record system, case management system, etc.) and you are or are planning to use GAIN ABS, you will want to avoid the duplication of having staff log in to both your client record systems and GAIN ABS. You also might want to pull client GAIN data or clinical reports into your record system. We refer to this sharing of login information and client data between your record system and GAIN ABS as “integration”.
How can I integrate with GAIN ABS?
There are two ways to integrate with GAIN ABS. The first is through Windows Communication Foundation (or WCF) Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) based services and the second is through our REpresentational State Transfer (REST) services. WCF SOAP Based Services uses certificates for client authentication, returns data in XML format and implements Web Services Security (WS-Security). REST Services which uses token-based authentication, returns data in JSON format, requires little configuration and is lightweight and mobile-friendly.
What does integration provide?
GAIN ABS Integration has three main functions. They are fetching data from the GAIN ABS database, saving data to the GAIN ABS database and logging users into the GAIN ABS website automatically from within an electronic client record system (electronic health record system, case management systems, etc.).
Below is a list of the data you can pull from GAIN ABS:
- A list of all agencies/sites associated to your account
- A list of all client groups associated to an account/agency (if applicable)
- A list of all assessments existing in an account/agency
- Assessment user information
- A list of all clients in an account/agency
- A list of all treatment episodes for a client
- ICP scores for an assessment
- A list of all assessments for a certain client
- All responses in an assessment
- A GRRS/Q3RRS for an assessment as raw data or in PDF format
The following is a list of data that can be pushed to GAIN ABS from an EHR:
- Created or updated client information
- Created or updated client treatment episode information
Before we can get started with GAIN ABS integration with your electronic client record system we need to be sure we have all the information necessary to proceed. The items necessary are:
- A valid GAIN License with the agency/site name and contact information for the representative holding the GAIN License.
- GAIN ABS accounts currently set up.
- An existing electronic client record system. We will need the name of the company or vender, the name of the electronic client record system and the name and contact information of the technical representative who will do the development.
- A description of the type of services you use (WCF or REST).
- A description of the GAIN data or reports you want included in your electronic client record system
Once we have all the information in the list above we can have technical representatives from all organizations work together to integrate GAIN ABS with your electronic client record system.
What is the cost for GAIN ABS Integration?
The Gain Coordinating Center does not charge your agency/site for our typical integration services. However, there may be costs associated with either your IT department or your electronic client record system vender for software development time to customize your system to accept data or reports from GAIN ABS. In addition, there may be additional costs for GCC software development time if you need a customized solution.
For information obtaining a GAIN License or getting GAIN ABS accounts set up, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about GAIN ABS integration, or to provide the information above to get started, please contact Barbara Estrada, Software Manager, Lighthouse Institute, Gain Coordinating Center at email@example.com.